Sandi Keane is Independent Australia's deputy editor and environment editor. She also freelances with occasional contributions to Crikey and NewMatilda). Like others on the IA team, her investigations and articles generally delve into hitherto unexplored topics or angles, often “breaking” news.
Sandi’s July 2011 investigation into the anti-wind lobby, the Landscape Guardians and Waubra Foundation, exposed the ‘guardians’ as astroturfers and the web of vested interests behind them. It has been widely referenced here in Australia, USA and Canada and led to an invitation for her to speak at the 7th Australian Wind Energy Conference in Melbourne in December 2011.
In February last year, Sandi’s investigation made it into Hansard when Labor MP John Murphy used her investigation as a speech in the House of Representatives in support of the Clean Energy Bill.
Before coming back to Melbourne, she hosted a column in two regional newspapers and was a regular contributor to environment and farming journals.
Her studies (which include Masters units in journalism, environmental and climate change policy) and professional career as a freelance journalist, PR consultant, major event manager, arts administrator and policy adviser have taken her to London and Vienna as well as Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.
Her last stint in Melbourne was PR for the City of Melbourne, when she was in charge of Customer Relations. It included speechwriting for the Lord Mayor.
Sandi’s treechange in Victoria’s high country gave her an opportunity to focus on her love of the natural world. She has been involved in the environment movement since the 1970s. In 2009, Sandi was invited as one of Victoria’s environment community leaders to the invitation-only breakfast with Al Gore.
After returning to Melbourne in 2010, Sandi now specializes in investigating what she describes as ‘carbon claptrap and other bunkum’.
You can follow Sandi on Twitter @jarrapin or her blog, Carbon Claptrap… and other Bunkum.
Articles written by Sandi Keane (38)
- 29 November 2013 | Kiribati and the coming climate refugee crisis
- 6 September 2013 | Julian Assange on Wikileaks and the election
- 6 September 2013 | EXCLUSIVE: Julian Assange — coming home next year?
- 5 September 2013 | Infrastructure Tony put trucks before people in Victoria
- 27 August 2013 | Tony Abbott: Plagiarist, pretender and follower
- 22 August 2013 | Wikileaks Party: Age of Aquarius or Armageddon
- 20 August 2013 | Frack first, repent at leisure
- 7 August 2013 | Victorian Government ignores Gippsland gasfield concerns
- 14 July 2013 | Land grabs — the new global oil and gold rush
- 18 June 2013 | Wind taken out of protesters' sails in Canberra
- 8 June 2013 | Are Labor and the Coalition now just political cartels?
- 29 April 2013 | How the Canberra Press Gallery shut out IA
- 10 April 2013 | John Howard — Lazarus lying
- 21 March 2013 | The spectacular rise and fall of Richard Torbay
- 7 February 2013 | Getting down and dirty on CSG in NSW
- 3 February 2013 | Australia's CSG industry — no longer such a gas
- 7 January 2013 | Let 'er rip Ted Baillieu could spell R.I.P.
- 10 November 2012 | How the MSM flog stories from blogs
- 7 November 2012 | Sneaky Santos caught out in CSG con
- 25 October 2012 | Burning the budgies over U.S. carbon
- 28 September 2012 | Waubra fights back against phony Foundation
- 28 August 2012 | The Australian's BER campaign: Building an Election Result
- 24 August 2012 | Simmonds Lumber goes "CSI" to combat illegal logging
- 23 August 2012 | Lies, damned lies and Olympic Dam sized lies
- 4 July 2012 | EPA Clean Air to end coal in the US
- 19 June 2012 | Carbon Tax Syndrome is the new Wind Turbine Syndrome
- 4 May 2012 | Ted Bails out on inner-city residents
- 26 April 2012 | Ritual animal slaughter goes mainstream
- 1 April 2012 | John Cook has a Eureka moment
- 6 March 2012 | The Landscape Guardians and the Waubra Foundation
- 7 February 2012 | Deception is our product
- 1 November 2011 | On Borrowed Time with David Bradbury and Paul Cox
- 21 October 2011 | Have your say on the Olympic Dam uranium mine
- 11 July 2011 | BER - just the bad news please
- 4 June 2011 | Independent Australia's rocketing growth continues
- 18 May 2011 | Fukushima meltdown cover-up: who's watching the watchers?
- 4 May 2011 | The Planet vs East Bumcrack: Crackers #1 - Andrew Bolt
- 19 April 2011 | Alpine grazing and the cryptogamic layer
Donate to IA
Donate to IA, securely via PayPal...
Or donate via bank transfer...
A/C name: Independent Australia; BSB: 124-001; A/c no: 21890458. (Click on email and send us your receipt so we can thank you!)
Receive IA's free weekly newsletter in your inbox. Join Today